I figured I'd pull a me too post and give some first impressions using the HD7 and the OS coming from Windows Mobile 6.1
- There is no straight migration process from the Outlook/ActiveSync based model to "the cloudz" but that's a fairly simple process
- Accounts are separate which isn't so much of a problem for me. I think having it as a choice would be cool though
- You can't sync drafts or your outbox. This makes sense that the mobile should be "separate" but it syncs with Windows Live Mail. I may want to start a message on my phone and finish on my laptop or vice versa
- Setting up multiple folders to sync at once would've been a nice option
- Alternatively that means things like the Gmail tasks are absent too. I prefer OneNote mobile but I do have some Tasks that would be in limbo otherwise.
- Setting an email flag exists in my company Exchange -> POP account but not Hotmail? Even Google mail has flagged emails
- Cursor character selection is horrible. I wouldn't think it'd be easy to determine flick from holding your finger but it seems to follow your finger in a trail. iOS has it beat because the magnifying glass nature allows a person to keep their finger on the line in question but still be able to view what is under their finger. If this is patented someone needs to get slapped.
- Pimping the OneNote 2010 crack sucks ass. This has been the biggest migration pain and one thing I wish I had used something like Evernote for. So far my solution to date has been to use the Web App version and manually copy the data from OneNote 2007 on my desktop. I get to reapply formatting that way. The alternative is OneNote 2010 Trial and a big no thanks on that option.
- IE works great despite the bs I've been giving it in my head
- I would've loved a gyroscope and compass. Maybe Windows Phone 8?
- No MyPhone sync/migration was unfortunate
It doesn't look like there are many links with some migration steps so perhaps I can get to that in a bit. I also wanted to discuss some of my wishlist. I realize this is 1.0 software but I am also very much in love with the OS. It's a Zune Phone on steroids and all the problems I have don't compare to the awesomeness of using it. It could also just be the hardware but my old phone wasn't terrible (Verizon VX6800, another HTC)