My Blog's Notable Octopress Tweaks
My plan is for this post to serve as an index to the upcoming posts. Unlike the ASP.NET MVC posts that fizzled (sorry), I need to chronicle these changes in the event I need to dissect them again.
Here's the collection in no particular order:
- Copyright date - This one is simple and almost not worth noting. I use a copyright date range of "[start year]-[current year]" and this post simply explains the what and why.
- Tag generator - Octopress will not support tags. Tag index pages are trivial to implement but I'm also starting to agree with the premise that one taxonomy should really be enough.
- Feed excerpts - These aren't generally created to my knowledge, or specifically the summary section. The general way to create excerpts is a little awkward but smart.
- Google Form notification full service sample taken from here.
- (Upcoming) Category & Tag index generators for the primary /categories/ /tags/ directory. WordPress didn't have this either but it would be a good idea to list all of them in one place.
One thing in the FAQ that particularly bit me during the WordPress conversion was Using Non-ASCII Characters In Your Blog. Most conversion posts cover this but I'm in the habit of always having this as part of my environment just in case.
The primary reason for my approach so far was to be a close representation as possible of the WordPress site to combat 301 redirect woes. Tags will eventually disappear I think but I like the exercise of making sure they're around in full. The platform seems to support "something" so it's fun to see how far I can go with it.